Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On Being Content and Happy

My five year old has been having this attitude lately in which she would have something ( may it be a toy or food) be content with it until she finds her brother or cousin brother with another toy. Then, she would want what they have to the point of not being happy with what she has. So, many times we have to reiterate that she must be contented and happy with what she has. Because if she's not contented, she would turn out to be ungrateful for what she has. I guess, this seemingly new attitude of hers is just normal for a child ' to have everything what they want' but it's not a very good attitude to bring on until adulthood.

Anyways, I wasn't so sure how she receives this 'sermon' of ours every time we correct her. But one afternoon, I knew then that she must have understood what we meant.

It has been a usual 'challenging' afternoon of forcing her and her cousin to eat properly and finish their food. They're both very playful when their together so, it takes a lot of scolding and reprimanding before they finish their meal. I was not in a good mood already, it was a hot afternoon, was tired and sleepy. But then, suddenly, our girl hugged me and said, " Amma, I'm happy with what I have - I have you and Appa". It was a very brief sentence but it totally warmed my heart. Then, I knew that whatever we told her must have already been embedded in her heart.

I just hope and pray that God will continue to give us wisdom in training our children, the way they should go.

No comments:

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates