Monday, June 14, 2010

Disturbing Facts

I was checking my twitter updates when I came across a link on 10 Places to Visit Before they Vanish and led to another article that lists the 15 most toxic places to live and other such articles too.

On the first article, there are few beautiful places that will soon vanish or change due to the effects of global warming and such. Some of these places are going to vanish in this generation so our children's children won't even have the chance of seeing them. The 2nd article also shocked me with the amount of wastes that people in some countries throw in their waterways and etc. It's also my first time to read about the Great Pacific Ocean Garbage patch in which garbage from all over the world converge and is now as big as Texas. And guess what, 80% of these are plastics!

Anyways, as I'm still processing all these information, I've just thought about the future of my kids and my future grand children. I wonder how their lives are going to be at that time if the earth continues to deteriorate. Anyways, reading all these articles make me want to do something so I won't contribute to the earth's waste.. I'll have to minimize using plastics and try to recycle as much as possible. Now, I really commend Hong Kong's waste disposal system in which they have 3 garbage cans in every place to sort out the biodegradable , non biodegradable and plastics. I also admire their seriousness in minimizing the use of plastic bags by encouraging shoppers to bring their own shopping bags by selling the plastic bags at a higher price. If only all countries can do the same...

No comments:

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates